- 1 900ml container of Pho broth (I use Campbells brand)
- 1 210g package of konjac noodles (I use nuPasta brand)
- 10 small white or brown mushrooms, washed and quartered
- 7 green onions, washed and chopped
- handful of fresh cilantro
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 3 cups of bean sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 serrano chili pepper, sliced (optional)
Yield: 6 servings
- In a large sauce pan, bring broth and mushrooms to a gentle simmer.
- Rinse the noodles thoroughly under cold water. Place noodles in a strainer and let the water run through them for 3-5 mins. Make sure to toss as you are rinsing. The noodles have a strong smell and extensive rinsing will eliminate it.
- Add the noodles to the broth and mushrooms and keep at a gentle simmer for 5 mins.
- Add green onions and ground pepper to the soup.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes and remove from heat.
- Serve cilantro, basil, bean sprouts and serrano pepper on the side. Add as much as you like of each to soup just before eating.
- Squeeze lime wedge over soup and toppings.
A quick version of a classic Vietnamese soup
Authentic Pho is made with a homemade beef bone broth, our recipe uses a pre-made broth that we jazzed up and added fresh veggies and herbs. Delicious on a hot sunny day and even better on a cool rainy one.
Amount Per Serving