- 1/2 Kg (1 lb) of ground beef-ground pork blend
- small cooking onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, washed and chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 slice low carb bread (I like Carbonaut), diced in small cubes
- 2 tbsp hot vegetable spread (ajvar) see picture below
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp ground pepper
Yield: 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lightly grease an 8″ x 4″ loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients. Mix with your hands and make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Form into a loaf shape and place in greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 30 mins.
- Remove form oven and cover with tinfoil.
- Bake for another 40 minutes until internal temperature is 160F on a meat thermometer.
- Serve with your favourite hot sauce.
Just like mom’s meatloaf but with a spicy twist
Meatloaf is one of those basic recipes that just has to be made from time to time. Everything about it is fantastic….it’s easy to make, smells heavenly when cooking, is delicious right out of the oven and makes fabulous leftovers. The classic recipes usually have tomato soup or ketchup smothered on them. This recipe has ajvar as it’s special ingredient and doesn’t need a saucy coating. Dash your favourite hot sauce on a slice and enjoy.
If you are not familiar with vegetable spreads, known as ajvars, you can find them in any grocery store. Made from roasted red peppers ajvar adds that extra special flavour to our spicy meatloaf.
Amount Per Serving