Ground Beef Filling
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) ground beef
- 1 celery stalk – chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots – diced
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 small onion – diced
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp butter
Makes 6 servings
Cottage Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Brown ground beef in a large fry pan. Transfer to a bowl.
- Clean fry pan, add olive oil and saute celery, onions, garlic and carrots. Onions should be translucent.
- Add ground beef to veggie mixture in fry pan.
- Add celery salt, parsley, pepper and peas. Heat thoroughly.
- Add beef broth and simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
- Pour into an oven safe casserole dish.
- Steam cauliflower until soft, not mushy!
- Add steamed cauliflower, cream cheese, cream and butter to a bowl and mash. I use a hand mixer.
- Mix until well blended and smooth.
- Spread over meat mixture in casserole dish, making sure it covers the meat right up to the edges of the dish.
- Bake for 25 mins. Broil quickly for 1 minute to brown the cauliflower.
- Remove from oven and serve.
This dish is quick and really delicious, it’s great for those evenings when you don’t want to spend a lot of time making dinner. The leftovers keep for up to 3 days and can be reheated in a fry pan or microwave. I add a little extra beef broth when I fry it up.
The cauliflower topping is as close to mashed potatoes as you can get, quickly broil at the end to get a crisper topping…careful you don’t burn it!
Amount Per 1 Serving